Sunday, January 10, 2010

Predictions for my 2010

Christmas vacation went way too fast. But, then, it always does. And, as my friends who work outside of education remind me, I'm lucky to get two weeks of Christmas vacation. They, on the other hand, are lucky to get one week of Christmas vacation. If that.

So, Christmas is behind me and 2010 is upon me and what the heck am I gonna do with it?

My college roommate and I have been writing weekly notes (that's right; actual notes in envelopes with stamps and the whole bit--just doing our part to support the US Postal Service) to each other for, sheesh, a year now? And her last note contained her predictions for 2010. Not resolutions, mind you; predictions. Here's her take on the whole issue of resolutions:

You know I'm a goal person so a fresh start of a new year is always inspiring to me. But, I think a "prediction" is better than a "resolution" cuz I'm not sure how resolute I am on these things.... Just some ideas I'd like to have a go at this year....

Well, ok, then. What would I like to have a go at this year?
  • Get an actual hairstyle. Because, currently, I don't have one.

  • Keep my weight under 118. I look my very best at 110 but, please. I'm trying for realism. I look quite nice at 115 and I look good enough at 118. At 120, I start to despair.

  • Start writing the book that keeps rattling around in my head.

  • Buy less clothing for myself. I am prone to retail therapy and I buy way too much clothing for myself. I need to focus my purchases on the house.

  • Read one real book a month. Not the light books that catch my eye. Nope, it's time to try something a little more meaty.

If those seem like self-centered, light-weight predictions, that's because they are. And I'm ok with that. I have other things in mind, too, like having a baby, being more consistent with my devotions, supporting and encouraging Jon more, etc. But those things are ALWAYS on my mind. They're not really predictions or resolutions. These are just five little things that, as Robin Ann put it, I'd like to have a go at this year.

This is Robin Ann, she of the "predictions, not resolutions" school of thought, and her adorable little girls. And me. Robin Ann and I were college roommates for all four of our years at Biola University. I've known her since 1990. I cannot even believe it's been that long.

1 comment:

  1. So the only addition I'd make is for you to set a date for writing that book. "Start writing the book by..."

    Because if one of those other predictions comes true, like having a baby, you can kiss that novel idea goodbye :)

    ReplyDelete