Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Catastrophic earthquake

When I see the devestation that took place in Haiti, I feel enormously guilty that the tiny little earthquakes I experienced earlier this week even gave me pause. The Bible says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike and I understand that. I've had some rain in my life and looked around to see the wicked flourishing like a green bay tree (more biblical allusions) and I didn't like it but I accepted it. This just seems so much worse. No use to tell myself, yes, but it could've been Haiti that had the tiny little earthquakes and my town that was felled by a catastrophic earthquake. The fact of the matter is, it wasn't. Haiti, and all its impoverished inhabitants (as well as, its rich inhabitants, I guess) took the hit. While I, in all my boring middle-class comfort, jumped because a jolt rocked my house. And whenever I think about that, I just feel unbelievably guilty. And sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment