Sunday, June 3, 2012

Thing Number Fourteen | View

When I am curled up in my favorite spot on the couch, I can look through the sliding glass window, under the patio cover, across the backyard lawn, over the back fence, and see … mountain. And sky. That is my view. An unobstructed panorama of mountain and sky.


We bought this house in 1998 and I’ve always believed it was just a first home. A starter house. We told ourselves we wouldn’t be here long. Five years? Maybe seven? Definitely not long. We underbought because we are both financially cautious. Three bedrooms, two baths, and minimal upgrades.  We bought in the dinky little town where I grew up because we could afford it and because I had a job with the local school district. Jon was working at Arrowhead Christian Academy in Redlands, a much cooler neighboring city, which gave him a very reasonable commute. I always assumed that eventually we’d move into an Arts and Crafts bungalow in Redlands and start living a much cooler life.

Well, it’s 2012 and, almost fourteen years later, we are still living in our 1300 square foot starter house with an unobstructed view of mountain and sky.

Last year we invested significant amounts of time and money looking for our next house. We almost bought a house in a development that we both liked (walking paths, a pond, cul de sac) but, because of financial considerations/fears/uncertainties we backed out of escrow. I’m so glad we did. We liked the house but it was big and it wasn’t really special. And the view over the back fence? Someone else’s two-story house, towering over the yard and blotting out the mountains and the sky.

We don’t live in a fancy house. We definitely don’t live in a big house. We don’t live in a desirable neighborhood or town. And that’s ok. I am finally accepting who we are and the life we’ve chosen to live and where we’ve chosen to live it. We are not fancy. We are not big. We’re not very cool. We’re small town people who want to look out over our back fence and see the mountain. And the sky.

But I’d love to have a second view someday. Of the ocean….

No comments:

Post a Comment