Saturday, April 24, 2010

CSHA 2010

Last weekend I was in Monterey, California, which is probably one of the most beautiful cities in the country. Today I'm typing at my desk in So Cal, having just finished weeding the backyard. I wish I were back in Monterey.

We went up for CSHA, which we usually don't do when it's in No Cal because it is expensive! We drove instead of flying which kept the cost down somewhat, but still. CSHA is the state convention for speech-language pathologists and it's where SLPs get most of the CEUs needed to renew the state license, national certification, and teaching credential. Basically, SLPs have to maintain a lot of paperwork in order to practice.

Anyway, Jon's graduating this year so we decided to go so he could check out the job fair and make some contacts. I went because I can always use the CEUs and, hey, any excuse to go to Monterey is a good excuse.

The weather was gorgeous! Two days later it would be freezing cold and pouring rain but while we were there it was beautiful. We did two full days of sessions and overall they were pretty good. I actually attended one excellent session! Like any other conference, the sessions typically range from poor to good with lots of fair. This year I attended one excellent, one good, one fair, and one poor. Honestly, that's not bad.

We managed to squeeze in some fun, too. On the way up to Monterey, we stopped in Cambria to revisit Moonstone Beach. Jon proposed to me on that beach, so I have a soft-spot for it. A few miles up the coast, we checked out Elephant Seal Beach. You think you've found the beach and you go, "Awww, look at those three seals; they're so cute." And then you look to the south and, well, it's all elephant seals as far as the eye can see. They're squished together and lying on top of each other and it's a little crazy.

After the sessions on Friday, Jon took me for a romantic dinner at Cibo. We chose their prix fixe menu and it was delicious! Then we saw "The Joneses," which we both really enjoyed. On Saturday we had another full day of sessions and then we drove to Pacific Grove to take the 17-Mile Drive. We've driven it before but it really is worth the money. That is some unbelievable coastline, including the Lone Cypress and the Ghost Tree. Part of the coast was temporarily blocked off because it was seal calving season. Fine with me, new mothers deserve their privacy!

On Sunday, we got up and packed, did a little shopping, and then drove home. I've got to admit, everytime we're up there I find myself checking out job opportunities and home prices and wishing we could stay forever....

No comments:

Post a Comment